Friday, February 20, 2009

20 miles at the Orange Grove

Anyone who knows the Orange Grove will respect the run I did today.  For those who don't, it is a 10mile loop and once you start, there is no turning back.  It is an orange sand road that runs up and down hills along side the Orange trees.  The sun stays straight over head so there is no chance of shade.  You better fuel right or the heat will take you down.  Top athletes like Lisa and Joanne use this to simulate Ironmans.  So of course I had to attack and what better way to do so then to double loop it!

I was feeling good and after a nice little sleep in we headed over.  Lisa ran the first 45min with me to get me into a solid tempo.  I had Dave in the wagon to fuel me as I ran.  I was feeling really good and fell into a solid tempo pace.  I looped the first lap at 1:11 for 10 miles.  Not too bad.  My goal was to drop the hammer and negative split the 10 miles on the 2nd loop.  I used the wind to my advantage and surged when it was at my back holding 6min miles for the most part.  After dave fueled me up with a gel and water I was smooth sailing!  I came in on the 2nd lap with a solid 1:10.  That ended up being 2:21 for 20miles.  Nothing to crazy..haha  Sub 3 hour marathon easy...lots of fuel in the tank left.

After a quick meal we went to the pool for a recovery swim.  Doing 800m repeats isn't as fun as it sounds and after 2 I was good to go.  All up swam a solid 3000m...Lisa just laughed and said go home.

Overall this week has been awesome.  I miss my wife and puppy...and of course my clients, but it as shown that I have progressed in all 3 events over the winter....
watch out this year..gonna be awesome!

No comments: