Sunday, June 14, 2009

Muskoka Long Course Race Report






I was feeling good leading into this race. I had a great week of training and was tapered, ready to go. Shannon and I went up the day before and I met up with Sean to get some pre race swim bike and run in. My Guru was dialed in by Yonique Cycle the day before the race and was running fast. We put 404's on the bike with a powertap and it came out to a heavy 17 lbs..haha, that's pretty light.

Mentally I was ready to go and looking for a sub 3 hour marathon. The motto for this race was you gotta risk it, to get the biscuit! My swim was feeling good and was excited to get my new Xterra Vendetta on in the water!

I was excited for the bike because I was able to fuel with CeraSport and really test out how well it works on my body. Training with it has been going great so was excited not to bloat or feel cramped!

I did a really good warm up and Sean helped me with the line to take heading into the rived (Geography Major) It went out fast like it normally does and I got into a solid groove. I can say I was feeling great! I got on Lisa's feet and didn't know that there were a ton of other pro's who decided to hop on mine..haha! All good I came out in 31 minutes, which is slow for me but with the current in the river I will take it! My shoulders felt great though, which is usually an issue for me with a new wetsuit and the Vendetta felt really comfortable!

Onto the bike I was excited to see what this Guru could do. I went to town! I avg 295 watts and came in at 1:30, which was the 12th fastest bike split! I also did not cramp with Cera Sport helping me with fueling! This put me in a good spot for the run.

Off the bike I was feeling fast and excited to run fast! Last year I did a 58 off the bike so I was excited to see what I can do. I saw James Loaring ahead so I was trying to make ground but boy, can he run..haha. He got me by a minute by the end of it. I came in at 59:30, which was a bit disappointing. I haven't found that gear I had last year. I felt strong and only one guy past me but I couldn't make any ground on the other guys. More tempo is going to be key and motivated to get faster and stick the 6min miles off the bike I know I can do!

I also have to say thanks to the great spectator team of Mike, Dave, Krystal and of course my beautiful wife Shannon! Thinking of doing Guelph next week but want to focus on the run for a bit and hit Peterborough!

I also have to say thanks to the Running Company, Saucony who has given me flats that I don't get blisters from! Sable Water Optics who keep seeing in the water and Trigger Point Therapy who keeps me healthy and not injured! Love it

Thanks so much

I have posted some pics

2 comments:

Adrian Del Monte said...

my wife says it takes a real man to ride a pink bike.

i guess i should get a pink bike.

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Great race Tyler! Thanks for posting all the great training stats and workout descriptions.It really helps us age groupers understand what it takes to get to the next level.

Best of luck!