Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bike Fit 101




I have received a few email regarding bike fitting from clients and what I think in the matter. In my opinion you can have the best bike in the world but if it isn't set up correctly then you will
A) Be super uncomfortable
B) Probably get an injury of some sort
C) Be wasting a lot of energy, which in turn wastes watts and time
D) Will be unmotivated to ride!

Back in 2006 I did my first triathlon, not knowing anything about bikes and got a Giant TCR, aluminum, no race wheels, and no special helmet. Actually think it was a bell. I talked with a guy at a local bike shop and he just told me to get fitted, don't worry about the flash. I took his advice and got a full fit done on my bike. For most people who don't know me I jumped into a 70.3 Event for my first triathlon and in that race my 90km bike time was 2:24:52. Not to shabby for a guy who just got onto a bike. From that point on every bike I got was fitted and dialed in.

Now to the present. 2010 I am now a pro and have all the flashy equipment. Aero Helmet, check, Race Wheels, check, Aero bottles check, but I still go back and make sure my bike fit is dialed in. They now have a system out called RETUL and the purpose is to check out hip angles, pressure on elbows in the aero position and to see if they can sneak out as many watts as they can well keeping comfort! In doing so I put down one of my fastest splits in a 70.3 race, which was 2:12:13, which is averaging 41km/h for 90km.

As you can see from the pictures, bikes keeping getting more flashy but bike fit remains the same! If you need anymore information send me an email or post a comment!

1 comment:

goSonja said...

That pink bike looks really good on you! I think you would race even faster if you showed up and racked that bad boy (girl?) with the other pro bikes.