Sunday, March 29, 2009

Post Race Around the Bay


Today's weather forecast was supposed to be scattered showers and then sunny by 10am.  Let me tell you that did not happen at all!  The rain kept coming down and with Around the Bay, which started at 9:30am it was going to be an interesting race!

I have had a weird week of training.  I got injured, which took me out of running for a few days.  I believe it was the new pair of shoes I got because I have never had any muscular problems before.  Long story short, I have great physio's and awesome benefits, which got me in everyday to Sheddon Physio to resolve the problem.  Also it didn't make it any better that Steph wanted me to help him train for fighting.  I remember fighting now hurting that much.  I had a few bruises after that.haha

So after a week of getting beat up and physio, it came down to a last minute decision to do the race and I am glad I did.  I opted out of the 15km hill section just to make sure I didn't make my injuries any worse!  Jim was my partner in crime for this race and he was ready to go.  I was talking with his wife before the race and she said he has never been this nervous! 

My goal was to stick around a 18min 5km then build my pace up till I hit the 15km mark.  The rain didn't help much and made my feet feel like stones.  I got into a pack with Mike Hay and Mat Reid and we were around 1:30 behind the leaders..(Kenyans)...haha We got into a steady pace and came into the 15km at 55 minutes.  That is just under a 6min mile pace.  The scary part is I was actually feeling really good and could have kept going strong.  Glad I called it a day and let Jim attack.  The funny part about this was Jim was so excited he grabbed the chip and took off!  He forgot to mention where my clothes were, so for 15 min I was walking around in shorts and a singlet trying to find my bad!  I later found it on the 9th bus!  

Overall very happy with the run.  No pain and feeling fast!  St. Croix is just around the corner and can't wait to throw down a serious race!

I have to make a few honorable mentions to Mark and Mackenzie Parsons, who did a solid 2:18 30km!  Laura G, who went sub 2:30 and Brian M, who smashed his old record and went sub 2:20!

Awesome Work everyone and keep up the good work!

Hard training this week so be sure to check in and watch me get broken!..haha

Bed time

No comments: