Monday, May 30, 2011

Training Update



I can honestly say in the 6 years I have been doing Triathlons this is the most consistent I have ever trained and the strongest I have ever felt. I know a lot of people will read this and wonder how is that possible considering I have a child and a new business? There are a few factors that I take into considerations and hopefully they will help others get better.

1) Training Partner- I have finally met a training partner who is always on time, doesn't bring excuses to the table and has the same goals as me. We push each other in different aspects of the sport. He is a diesel on the run and I can push a bike so we help each other. Both owning our own business' we are able to train mid day but we are very punctual and always on time. No screwing around, no wasted time, time and rest. I guess what I am trying to say is misery enjoys company. The weather has been horrible but having someone their who will go out makes it all worth it.

2) Priorities- Before signing up for Lake Placid I had a serious talk with my wife. I knew the first Ironman I was undertrained but I was going to give it my all this time and train and race to my full potential. In doing this I needed a program that factors in family life, workouts and my business. The biggest difference in this program is how specific my workouts are...excuse my french no bullshit miles, quality and rest! Also taking Saturday off. No taken up weekends away from Hayden and Shannon train during the week and family on Saturday.

3) Wife- Having a wife that understands a professional triathlete. I will be the first to admit I am selfish. You have to be doing this sport. Long hours of training for what? Me breaking the top 8 prize money is a long shot but I do race with the best triathletes in the world. Shannon is the one who understands and on those long 5 hour training blocks she is great taking care of Hayden. She understands the training going into this race and is the first one to ask what time my workout is at and of course, "did you swim today"

Hope this helps a few people I know how great this season is going to be. Have amazing sponsors helping me out and with the backing of family and friends I can't wait to race.

I have posted some Picks from MIM Race last weekend. Sean and I headed down to the new 5150 series. What an amazing field of athletes...shows me why I need to learn to swim faster lol. Had a great bike to run though;)

No comments: