Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm Back and filled with Greek Salad!





My wife and another couple went to Greece for 9 days and we had a blast. It was good to get away with her and spend some time away from our busy lives....want am I saying..haha I train for a living! Her busy life as a teacher and dealing with me.

Our trip started in Mykonos, which was beautiful. Our hotel was right on the ocean. My goal for the week was to run and swim like a mad man! First day we got there I got for a 60 minute run and learned real quickly that Greece is a hilly place! The next day was some interval work and funny enough I found a track! Oh yes, Greek people run! I got there and did 10 x 1km. I was mentally ready for it but some how I got lucky when I guy, who didn't speak English, asked if he could run with me. We started the workout and I hit the first km in 3:10....he was right next to me. By the time we hit the 5th repeat I got down to 3:06...and he was right next to me still!! I was asking myself what the hell is this guy on!! After the workout and getting down to 3:04 as my fastest repeat I asked him where he ran?? All I picked up was National Running Team and 1:14 half marathon! Boy had Speed!

After that I hit the pool, which was salt water and didn't taste good when I got some up the nose! The next day we were off to Paros, where again it was more hills. We rented an ATV and headed to the Caves and all around the island. I had to do a 90 min tempo run and felt like highlander running up and down the hills! I found a path and it was like running in Hilton Falls on rocks! It was pretty crazy but was well worth it when I was in the middle of know where enjoying the sound of the ocean and just being happy I could see that view!

I had a few other runs but nothing beat the run in Santorini. To get to Santorini you have to take a Ferry to the island then travel up around 100m! There is a path, which is cobblestone, and gravel which ran along the cliff edge! I woke up bright and early and got out for a 2 hour run. I didn't want to stop, it was amazing! The view kept me going fast!

Oh and before I forgot here is the break down of our day

wake up at 9am eat.......
go to the beach from 10 until 2......
Nap until 6pm.....
Go for a walk or train then eat at 9pm....
Party until 2 to 4 in the morning.... same thing everyday!!

Crazy!! Calgary is coming quick, so back in the water and excited to get back on the bike!!!

No comments: